For Canadian Painters Only

My time living and working in Canada has always been great.  One problem for a painter though: painters in the US mostly use a 5-gallon bucket, a screen, and a 9-inch roller frame/cage.  Why is that?  It’s fast man.   Nobody ever stepped in a big bucket! Well, not as far as you know.

Canadian painters almost always use pans/trays to roll from.  I asked my buddy who manages a big Canadian Benjamin Moore store why this is.  He did not know!

It’s because a Canadian roller frame and cover are not 9 inches.  They are metric and come to about 9.5 inches.  That size is a tiny bit too long to go to the bottom of a 5-gallon bucket.  So they use pans.

I tried to keep this secret to myself all those years, but now I’m heading into retirement and I’m letting the cat out of the bag.  Oh, the cat couldn’t breathe in there?  Ooops.

Canadian painters: Order only 9-inch frame and roller covers! Check that it is not more than 9 and also pick up the screen and bucket.  Let’s roll.

One alternative is that if you use the 9+ size, don’t use a standard 5-gallon bucket: use one of the types that drywall mud comes in because they are wider and will work for you.  There may be other types I don’t know about too.



Leave a Comment