For total protection, the very best mask to have is the full face respirator. These are also important to use when cleaning mold and asbestos, etc.
The best thing about a full-face mask respirator is the tight fit to your skin. Unlike the paper masks that allow air in around the sides, the full-face respirator is air-tight.
‘P100’ which means 99.9% of particles:
better than a doctor’s N95 or a painter’s P95. Worth every penny.
This is excellent and but remember it is for the MASK ONLY: you need to add a Honeywell filter (not 3M):
- Combo Organic and HEPA filter, the one that does it all
- North by Honeywell’s HEPA filters dust, fumes, mists, fibres, etc.
- Honeywell HEPA and vapor combination
This full-face mask respirator is a great facial mask for the money.
2. The 3M 6900 respirator
Comes with the basic HEPA: removes 99.5 % of particles, very adequate protection but you might want a chemical filter for painting and all kinds of toxins.
- The 6002 cartridges: excellent protection.
- The 6003: an excellent filter and the retaining clip for the 2nd outer layer can be cliped to this if you like (not necessary). See more about the layers of filters at the top this post on the best respirator masks today.
- HEPA filters: same as the ones that come with but you will want more: this is for 2 pairs (4 filters).
Don’t worry too much. In doubt get medium for adults and small for children and small people. I am 6’1″ and a large also fits me. My wife uses a small, but the small feels fine on me too and does not leak, but I prefer the large.
While the best respirator mask for the full face protects your eyes too, you can also be completely protected from breathing toxins by using the normal painting respirator mask which does not protect your eyes
4. Kill airborne and surface bacteria and viruses by burning sage leaves.
Here are the bundles I bought. I burn them in my car when out picking up food etc.
Read about burning sage: “Sage is an herb that is antimicrobial, and therefore, has the potential to improve our air quality tremendously. Such a reduction in bacteria in the air can aid against getting ill. Its antimicrobial properties work against viruses, bacteria, and fungi.” It smells nice too.
Bonus: How to Make HEPA Facemask Without Getting Gouged.
I used a vacuum cleaner bag and make a HEPA quality respirator filter in this video (also at bottom of this page).
|N: not oil resistant
|95: removes 95% of all particles
|R: oil resistant
|99: removes 99% of all particles
|P: oil PROOF
|100: removes 99.97% of all particles (HEPA)
* NOTE: If you are working with a particularly nasty paint or spray, you need to contact the maker.
Let me know in the comments below if you have any questions or concerns.